Friday, February 24, 2017



Returning "home" to the Arkansas River valley where I had the privilege of spending much of my childhood, in a pioneer era cabin with no plumbing, no electricity, just well water, wood stoves, horses, cows, coyotes and a whole lotta natural beauty in every direction. 

On this solo birthday roadtrip, I stayed in some rather different accommodations (see bottom of post for link). Salida, where I learned to swim as a kid, and where my dad paddled in kayak races back in the day, has turned into an artist's community and a mecca for mountain bikers, kayakers and outdoor enthusiasts. Still remote, it has managed to hold onto its small town Colorado personality. 









*Photos taken at the Arkansas headwaters in Leadville, CO, in Salida, CO in the Arkansas River Valley, on the Continental Divide, and at the wonderful Amigo Motor Lodge in Salida. 

No comments:

Post a Comment